Monovision

I don’t usually wear my glasses except to watch tv, I simply find them to be a pain. Wednesday I got contacts. My vision is a bit unusual, at least to me it is. Most people I talk to can’t see up close. My close-up vision is great, it’s distance that’s been a problem for me for a while. The ability to drive down the road and actually see street signs, names of buildings and leaves on the trees – it’s almost as though I’ve been given a new gift.

The eye doctor suggested monovision. Since I don’t require any close-up correction (yet) this consists of wearing only one contact that treats my primary eye for distance, while the other eye remains contact-less to maintain the close-up vision. Not only could I not comprehend the sense in this, I felt like I couldn’t I didn’t want to do it. I ended up wearing both contacts and life seemed grand – until I looked down at my phone. I couldn’t see a thing, even to return a text!

Long story short, I’ve been forced into monovision. They tell me it’ll take 2-3 weeks for my eyes to adjust and start playing together nicely again. I really hope this happens soon, because right now I’m struggling to focus on anything. In my line of work seeing up close is a must, and I refuse to go buy a pair of readers. I feel that’s contradictory to my reasoning for contacts – I want to ditch the glasses.

Even though I understand the concept, just wearing one contact makes me feel like I’m only doing half a job – or like I’m incomplete. It’s a weird feeling!

1. Certainly we don’t like glasses but I prefer glasses than contact lens. That is why I’m pollen allelgic and the contact lens got dirty.

July 15, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Yes, some people don’t like or can’t do the contacts. I’ve been afraid of them for years myself, I hope I can get used to it.

July 16, 2011 at 11:05 am

2. I HOPE you didn’t get COLOR contacts. Hey, you could have one blue eye and one brown and freak everyone out LOL.

July 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm

They’re the clear ones, but you’ve just given me an excellent idea!! haha!! 🙂

July 16, 2011 at 11:06 am

3. I have mono vision. Right eye is shot. Ruptured blood vessels – macula. I think my eyes were stressed by all the stuff the Jesuits and PhD nuns made me read for MA degree. They did that to me because I am Protestant. That and also the time I was in a fight with 8 people. I should have known that wasn’t very good odds. They did that to me because I was a jerk. I have maxo-supremo insurance but I still get the readers at the dollar store.

July 16, 2011 at 1:33 am

Carl, you crack me up!! I may end up getting the readers but I’m trying to avoid it.

July 16, 2011 at 11:10 am

4. Sounds freaky 🙂 I wear glasses for distance but can wear them all the time if i want, I’m not sure I’d cope with touching my eye to put contacts in 🙂

July 16, 2011 at 8:38 am

It feels freaky too. And not the most enjoyable thing to try to adapt to! 🙂

July 16, 2011 at 11:11 am

5. I used to wear contact lenses for many years, but I just quit. I got lazy, I guess, and didn’t feel like putting them in. I had to use glasses to see small print. That was a disappointment. Blessings to you, Bonnie…

July 17, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I’m disappointed too, Carol Ann – as of this weekend I had to cease wearing the one because the other eye has severe eye strain from trying to keep up. It’s swollen and hurting, so we’ll see where the doc leads me next after this clears. I can guarantee I won’t be wearing just one anymore, it’s both or nothing. Blessings to you, my friend.

July 19, 2011 at 7:35 am

6. I can’t see far away, but I can see up close. But I wear 2. Maybe my vision is really really bad.

July 19, 2011 at 10:13 am

That’s how mine is too, up close is still good. I’ve found out I can’t just wear one – severe eye strain alert. Ugh.

July 19, 2011 at 10:41 am

7. I’ve been usig monovision for about three or four years, one eye for distance, one for close….sure beats the heck out of bifocals, or any kind of glasses.

July 19, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Good to know, SuziCate! Thanks for stopping in and commenting – have a great weekend! 🙂

July 22, 2011 at 8:41 am

8. helen

My eye doctor tried that on me too, but I couldn’t {wouldn’t} do it. I had to wear 1 contact in my right eye and for the life of me, I just can’t get over the fear of putting sometime in my eye. I did manage to wear it a few times, but I didn’t want to wait until I could see again and with no shame at all…I bought some “readers”. I see fine far away, but nothing up close. Getting older does have it’s rewards. NOT! Love ya!

July 22, 2011 at 11:18 am

Yeah, unfortunately I can’t do it either. I couldn’t even make it through a full week without severe eye strain setting in on the contact-less eye. I have to remind myself your eyes are an organ and react to too much work or stress, just like any other organ. Once things settle down here, I plan on a return visit to the eye doc to try something else! Love ya Helen!

July 23, 2011 at 1:17 pm