Bucket Lists

We’ve all heard about them. Famous people have written them; a Hollywood movie was even filmed about them. Just for the fun of it, I started out to write my own. Something that just wasn’t meant to happen today.

Whenever I hear of a bucket list, I always think about my precious grandma. She didn’t have a list that we knew of, at least not a written one. But everyone who knew Mammaw was well aware of the one thing she wanted to do before she kicked the bucket (her words). She wanted to travel out west in an RV – through the big state of Texas right on into Arizona. Just her, us, and the open road. She had a deep passion for growing cactus, and all the varying species she grew here in North Carolina thrived. One day she had hoped to stand beside those big cactuses in Arizona.

On Christmas Day one year, her son got her what he thought to be the most hilarious gag gift. He brought her outside to find a surprise toy Winnebago ‘parked’ in the driveway behind her little Toyota Corolla. Ill-timed? Probably. I’ll be the first to admit that my Mammaw was the Queen of jokes and pranks – but I never will forget that twinge of disappointment she attempted to hide behind those deep brown eyes that day.

Through the years, she dearly loved the other toy replicas that were given to her as interim gifts. On a table in her living room, she proudly displayed her 2ft. wide intricate wood-carved covered wagon. It ended up surrounded with some of her authentic cactus and given a complete family, which she dressed up in era-appropriate western garb and bonnets.

She really yearned for that trip, but never got it. Looking back now, I’d do anything to have made that trip happen for her.

If Mammaw had had a bucket list, I know this trip would have appeared at the top. Not that writing your wants down necessarily makes them happen. I’ll go a step further to say the trip would’ve been the only thing on her list…

1. “the only thing on the list” I understand. I will never have the wherewithall to do things on a bucket list. Not that they would be outrageously extravagant. Before I die I would like to go to Israel and see the places where Jesus lived and died. The only thing on my list.

August 3, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Carl, that’s an excellent place to desire to visit. I know Mammaw talked about one day visiting there, too. More realistic in her own expectations was that visit out west – I have yet to see anyone love that area more than she did. I still think about her wish often and as my Mom said, like to think she’s seen it by now. 🙂

August 3, 2011 at 6:44 pm

2. Mom~

I remember them. She eventually got rid of so many things because of lack of space – as well as letting go of those dreams, too. But I have a feeling she has seen the west by now, or if not yet, she will. 😉

August 3, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Yep. She was so proud of that stuff. Remember when we even went looking at RV’s that cold winter day? We knew we could never get one, but it was fun to look. Then my clutzoid self had to go fall down the stairs exiting one and got hurt – skinned my back up. I’m not certain, but I’m pretty sure I heard y’all having a laugh over it later that evening… 🙂

August 3, 2011 at 6:47 pm

• Mom~

Heehee, as correctly as my old brain can remember, we were laughing with you, not at you! We had all been ooo’ing and ahh’ing over the motor homes that day and you were a little hyper, touching everything, laying down on the beds and running, before you slid down the stairs – it was a lucky thing that it was cold weather and you had that heavy coat to soften the blow. Ah, memories!

August 3, 2011 at 8:15 pm

3. what a lovely post

August 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Thanks so much, Tinkerbelle86! 🙂

August 3, 2011 at 6:48 pm

4. Pingback: Moving on… « ctrecoveryjourney

5. Bonnie

Mom, I remember that fur coat that softened the blow of those RV stairs. And those times came before the ADD diagnosis’ were made (thank goodness, no meds for me). LOL

August 3, 2011 at 9:34 pm

6. Are you going to post your list? I’d love to see what’s on it.

August 4, 2011 at 8:37 am