A White Christmas for the southeast

Really, Charlotte… snow??  Yes!! We actually got our white Christmas after all!!

Imagine that.

According to National Weather Service statistics, the Charlotte area hasn’t seen the likes of a white Christmas in 63 years. Since the NTS doesn’t count anything below an inch on the ground Christmas day as a ‘white Christmas’, 1947 was the last recorded date of snowfall on Christmas – which totalled around 5.5 inches on that day.

View from my third-floor treehouse this morning.

The forecast has made headlines for days now. Not just us, but many of the southeast area states of the US did in fact receive a packet or more of snowfall for Christmas this year. Our such packet didn’t arrive until after sunset last night, but it came nonetheless – and it’s still coming! Heck, it’s still snowing in Georgia this morning, and it was snowing in Myrtle Beach around 7am. It’s funny though… there doesn’t seem to be any bad roads out in the immediate vicinity. The accident rate is low so far, and the parking lots and roads look clear. It’s almost as though God brought us lovely snowfall that we can enjoy and get around well in. What a blessing!

My balcony got a little snow as well. So far my geranium, fern and palm tree don’t mind a bit!

This morning I was reading the probability ratings for various cities across the US (as well as different parts of the world) on the ‘probability’ of snow on Christmas. I found it hilarious that Charlotte, NC ranks right alongside Los Angeles, CA and Phoenix, AZ – all three sporting a whopping 1% probability rating. I heart Wikipedia (umm, except for that leakage thing)… so go ahead, see if your city is on the list and what it ranks. Wiki factoids and probabilities for a White Christmas in your city

Where I usually type my little blog… this morning I very much enjoyed a memorable wintry view.

It’s funny to see all the facebook statuses and pictures posted last night and into today from friends and family. The snow seems to have lifted spirits everywhere, especially households with small children who enjoy getting out and playing in it. Snow on Christmas has just put a whole different ‘air’ out, so to speak. Lighter, brighter and more joyful souls abound everywhere… dare I say, I can almost feel a renewed sense of hope for the new year to come? Whatever the case may be… it is very refreshing.

1. Pingback: A White Christmas for the southeast (via Life of Bon) « Duke1959's Blog

2. duke1959

How beautiful.

December 26, 2010 at 11:28 am

Thanks Duke! Hope your Christmas was warm and wonderful. 🙂

December 26, 2010 at 12:08 pm

3. How beautiful! A white Christmas in Charlotte, NC! Last year was my first year in Dallas, TX. I was told that it rarely snows and then only a dusting. Dallas received 12 inches last year! So far this year, none. I’m glad to hear your roads are clear. Enjoy it while you may. I enjoyed the unusual snowfall here last year. Blessings to you, Bonnie…

December 26, 2010 at 4:48 pm

It is a very rare and special time, Carol Ann. I’m glad you got to experience it last year… and it had to be as shocking as mine, yours being in Texas! 🙂 I didn’t check the site I posted but I’m thinking that ranks along the same stats as Charlotte, Los Angeles and Phoenix! Ha! Blessings to you, dear Carol Ann…

December 26, 2010 at 8:42 pm

4. Pingback: Dashing through the snow…. « 2 BROWN DAWGS BLOG

5. Those pictures are gorgeous! Here it flurried a little on Christmas morning, but it didn’t stick.

December 29, 2010 at 7:24 am

Thanks – it’s for sure a Christmas I won’t soon forget! This is the third full day of some snow still left on the ground, so I guess that means more is coming soon! 🙂

December 29, 2010 at 9:48 am

6. Lovely pictures.

December 30, 2010 at 9:02 am

Thanks, and have a great New Year!

December 30, 2010 at 9:22 am