Chip dipper

About two and a half years ago, I lost twenty pounds. I found that success really can be achieved the good old-fashioned way – via eating healthy and exercising my tail off. I worked extremely hard for every pound, and kept it off for a year. I felt better than I ever had felt before – my blood pressure had leveled out and I was even trying to talk my doctor into weaning me off the beta blocker I’ve been on since age 32. Over the past year and a half, I’ve gained twenty five pounds (there should be a heavy black font for that because the bold one just doesn’t cut it). Twenty-five pounds. That’s the equivalent of ‘all that and a bag o’ chips’. No excuses.

Once again, I’ve taken on the difficult task of eating right and exercising – although it’s taken me twenty-five pounds to get to this point. What makes it so difficult to re-acquire that motivation, and why did I lose it in the first place? Anyway, I think I might’ve found it again and only hope it isn’t temporary. I dusted the cobwebs off my treadmill and have since put a couple of miles on it. I weighed in early this morning and was happy to see that I’ve lost two pounds – yay me! Now to just keep it going. I’ve done this once – but something in me relaxed, or something… exercising came to an abrupt halt and my eating habits turned from healthy to down right horrible. Failing so miserably in my endeavor makes me feel awful about myself. I’ve simply GOT to be successful at this, and keep it off this time.

The keys for me are a) weekend management and b) not feeling cheated. If I feel cheated, I’ve proven time and again that I’ll rebel. This is actually the perfect time of year to head to the mountains for a hike… hey, great idea. We survived last nights tornadic storms, and the forecast for the weekend looks optimal…

1. I had an experience similar. I lost at least 20 pounds. My friends were saying I needed to gain some back. I disagreed with them, of course. My loss came by way of a change in my life. I worked full time in an office, did landscaping kind of yard work for an hour or so everyday, and walked in Walmart for an hour each evening because no refrigerator could hold more than a day’s worth of food to feed as many as were living with us. Ha! Then, poof, my life changed again. Sweet repose eventually piled weight onto my body again, and pounds lost returned. Woe is me. I keep trying to lose. I’m not sure I’ve stopped the gain! Blessings to you, Bonnie. I wish you success!

October 27, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Carol Ann, I have a good idea of what that change was that caused the weight loss, if so we also have that in common. Yes, it’s so easy to add but tough as nails to remove. 🙂 Blessings.

October 28, 2010 at 9:54 am

2. Helen

Oh my, I wish you luck on your weight loss and I KNOW you can do it!!! I wish I had put on 25 lbs instead of the 60 lbs I packed on in 2 months!! However it wasn’t bad eating habits that caused the weight gain. It was one of my meds. Now, I’ve never been the worlds healthest eater and I have a HUGE sweet tooth, BUT….now that I have diabetes I am learning to eat better. I’ve always been a veggie lover so it’s not like I have to learn to eat, and like, food that is good for me. I’ve never been a big chip eater and thats good since Ed works for a well known chip maker. A few months ago I started dropping weight without even trying. I thought “wow, this is great!”…but then someone asked me a heart stopping guestion, “do you have diabetes”? DIABETES???!!!! Everything started to fall into place. The never ending need for something to drink, the blurred vision and the UTI that I STILL have. So off to the doctor I go. Yes, I have diabetes and now I have to check my blood twice a day and VERY LITTLE sugar. I have to give up my beloved sweets???!!!! Now it’s my beloved Splenda. 🙂 At one point I thought about not taking my sugar meds and dropping some more weight and believe it was very tempting but good sence won out. After the doc told me that it would damage the ONE kidney I have working I RAN to CVS to get my meds. At least I had 20 lbs gone and so far I haven’t gained it back. I still need to lose 40 to 50 lbs. I’m willing to bet that you will lose your extra weight before I will. Keep me posted. Now that I’ve melted your eyeballs I’ll go. Have a great day Bon!!

October 27, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Thanks Helen! It must’ve been a big blow to learn of the diabetes. Definitely keep up on those meds and hopefully the rest will fall into place once you get a hold on it! Like I told Carol Ann, it’s so tough to take weight off – I honestly just love food. It takes a change in the way of thinking for sure… yes the sweet tooth I can relate with. lol! Hope your day is great Helen – blessings to you and yours.

October 28, 2010 at 9:57 am

3. planejaner

You can do it! I’ll be joining you, as I am getting back into yoga and maybe some running and more walking…
    I will be sending you many positive thoughts!
    jane

October 27, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Thanks bunches Jane. I never wanted to admit all this in a blog, but in doing so I’ve given myself a freeing feeling. I feel like since it’s ‘out there’, now maybe I can move forward and stick with it. I’m sure you’ll be successful in your endeavor! Blessings to you, Jane.

October 28, 2010 at 10:00 am