Speaking Out

A few years ago, I wrote a post on domestic violence. Miranda Lambert has recently took some flack for a tweet she sent during the Grammys. To me that’s what twitter’s all about, speaking your mind and voicing your opinion (in 144 characters or less, of course). Although I respect Chris Brown’s talent in music, dance and choreography – that’s about as far as it goes.

Here’s the tweet:

If you don’t remember, the incident she speaks of is when Chris beat his then-wife Rihanna to a pulp – which probably didn’t take long as little as she is. The following excerpts were taken from the care.com website:

The photographs of her injuries shocked and horrified all those who saw them. Brown initially denied all charges, including felony assault and making criminal threats, but eventually pleaded guilty. He is still serving probation for those attacks — the probation being, in fact, the “harshest” part of his sentence.  Brown has been denied entry into Britain due to this conviction in a serious felony case. He has previously claimed to “not remember” the incident, and also claims that’s “not who he is” as a person — two hallmarks of someone who has not taken responsibility for their own actions.

The man convicted of domestic abuse got more attention than the woman who had BEEN abused, and got touted as a bigger comeback than the woman who nearly lost her voice but came back to win six Grammys.

Read more: Chris Brown and the Grammys: Forgive and Forget?

Pay close attention to what Shannon McKarney just said there. If your partner assaults you and claims ‘not to remember’ and/or says ‘it’s not who they really are’ PLUS never acknowledges any actual wrongdoing – consider it more than just a warning. Find someone to talk to about it. Do whatever it takes to put your situation out in the open. Forget about any embarrassment or shame. Act now in your own defense.

Because it’s more than just a red flag. It’s potential for a black flag with crossbones on it.

Update 2-20-12: Miranda needs to let it go now. She’s made her point.  ~BM

About these ads

1. Well said. I love Miranda by the way and I think it’s fair she can express her opinion, he is a convicted criminal being praised by the music industry – not really the best role model for young music fans. Although let’s face it not many celebs are! Great end quote!

February 15, 2012 at 10:33 am

• Thanks Victoria. It’s a subject I’m (obviously) very passionate about. I forgot to mention that last quote was also Miranda’s, quoted from a song she likes. :) Very fitting.

February 15, 2012 at 10:52 am

2. Mom~

Great blog today.

February 15, 2012 at 10:44 am

• Thanks, Mom.

February 15, 2012 at 10:53 am

3. Elena

I have huge opinions about this but will only share these two :

…… people must be held accountable for their actions especially when they outwardly show no remorse or conscience
    ….. victims must absolutely find their voice and disclose abuse and violence if we ever have hope of putting an end to it.

This hits closer to home than I care to admit. How different would a certain family member’s story be today if she hadn’t allowed the entire duration of her marriage?

February 15, 2012 at 10:50 am

• Those are two very fitting truths, Elena. And, it would be a very different story, indeed. Love and hugs…

February 15, 2012 at 10:57 am

4. This is freaky. I could not stop thinking about Whitney the 2 days prior to her death. How ever could she let herself be involved with this creep?

February 17, 2012 at 3:04 pm

• That is freaky, Carl. I’ve watched her funeral all day and am so sad, it’s still unbelievable to me. Far as Rihanna, word has it she and the creep might become an item again. I sure hope this is wrong – she could have any man she wanted.

February 18, 2012 at 4:54 pm

5. I didn’t know her. She sounds very famous…

February 18, 2012 at 3:09 am

• Rihanna is pretty famous – she’s becoming increasingly popular. She has some really good music. :)

February 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm